Express Entry System – Federal Skilled Trades

The Federal Skilled Trades is one of the Independent Categories under which a client may apply for Permanent Residency for themselves and their immediate family, provided they meet the requirements of this category. The main applicant needs to have two years out of the last five years, of Work Experience in a Skilled Trades Occupation, meet the required levels for the language requirements and meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC). You should either have an offer of full-time employment or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade, issued by a Canadian Provincial or Territorial authority.

Two years of Full time work means you have worked at least 30 hours over a period of one week for two years, or part-time: 15 hours per week over 24 months = 1 year full time.

Two part-time jobs can be combined to meet the requirements.

Skilled Trades eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Progamme are organized under the following NOC Groups:

Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.

You must show that you performed the duties outlined as per your corresponding NOC #, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

You should have gained your work experience with proper immigration authorization, if you were working in Canada.

There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class, however it is advisable that you get your Education assessed, if you have tertiary level education, as this will help to increase your score.

The Language Requirements are CLB 5 for Speaking and Listening and CLB 4 for Reading and Writing. Once you meet the requirements, you will then need to submit your Express Entry Profile. I would recommend that if the main applicant has a spouse, then the spouse should complete the English Test and Education assessment if necessary (find out your options before proceeding as there are costs involved with the assessments etc.). Your spouse’s information may help to increase your score.

Your profile will remain in the pool for a year and if you are not given an ITA (Invitation to apply), then you would need to create another profile to re-enter the pool. If you are given an ITA you will have 90 days in which to submit all supporting documents and pay the applicable fees. Once you meet all the requirements IRCC will advise as to finalizing the landing process and documents.

It is important to find out your options before proceeding with an application under the Economic Categories as the rules and process have changed over the years.

Nadine Mahabeer is a weekly guest on “Immigration Mondays” on Nationwide 90FM in Jamaica – Monday mornings at 10am – streaming live on the Internet.