Immigrate To Canada As A Self-Employed Person

Canadian Immigration allows Self-Employed foreign nationals to apply for Permanent Residency, provided they meet the requirements of this category. The Self-employed person should have relevant experience, intends and is able to self-employed in Canada and will be able to contribute to Canada’s economy. Examples would include world-class athletes, musicians etc.

Relevant experience means at least two-years as a Self-employed person in Cultural Activities or Athletics at a world-class level. The applicant will be assessed on experience, education, age, language abilities and adaptability. Points will be awarded for each criterion and the applicant will need 35 points in order to qualify. In addition, the applicant will need to complete a medical and Police Record checks.

The main applicant and their spouse (if applicable), will need to complete a Language proficiency exam – either the IELTS or CELPIP General Test. For Education assessment, they will also need to have their education assessed by an organization in Canada. Points will also be awarded based on their spouse’s education, work or study in Canada and relatives in Canada who are Permanent Residents or Citizens.

It is important to review the criterions for the various programmes before submitting your profile. Most programmes require English Test Results and Assessment of your education, if your Tertiary Level Education was not completed in Canada.

Nadine Mahabeer is a weekly guest on “Immigration Mondays” on Nationwide 90FM in Jamaica – Monday mornings at 10am – streaming live on the Internet.