International Students – How does the Strike by College Teachers Affect your Status? Do You Need To Extend Your Stay In Canada?

Every year thousands of Students choose to come to Canada to further their studies and experience our culture. For most International students who came to Canada to study starting the fall of 2017, they were given an unwelcome surprise when College Instructors in Ontario went on Strike for five weeks, making it the longest College Strike in Ontario History.

Most Colleges will extend the semester by a week or two, in order to make up for the lost time.

Immigration normally give some additional time on student permits (maybe a month beyond the end of your studies). However, it is important to check the expiry date of your Study Permit. Note that the date on the “Visa” in your passport may not be the same as what is on the Immigration document issued to you when you landed in Canada. You are allowed to remain in Canada until the Expiry date of your Student Permit.

If your permit is expiring before the end of your studies, you will need to apply for an extension of your stay from inside Canada. You will need to obtain a letter of enrollment from the College you are attending, in addition to showing that you still have financial support available for the duration of your studies. Once your application is submitted before the expiry date of your current status; you have “Implied Status” until you receive a response from Immigration. Your application may either be submitted online or mailed in.

Please ensure that you include the applicable forms, supporting documents and fee payment.